Man killed by exploding mobile phone

Mobile phones, Weirdness

speed-freaks.jpgA man in his twenties in Guangzhou, China, has died after an exploding mobile phone severed an artery in his neck. He’d just replaced the battery after charging it. It’s unclear what make or model the phone was, or if it was a dodgy third-party battery, but police are investigating.

Amazingly, it’s the ninth recorded death by exploding phone in China since 2002. One man died when his battery overheated due to the heat of an iron mill he worked at and blew a hole in his chest. Since this incident however, newspapers have published advice on how to avoid mobile phone explosions that I think we can all take on board. Click through to see them over the jump.

  • Always use original batteries. Be sure that batteries by the manufacturer are meant for your mobile phone.
  • Never modify your phone
  • Always use original battery chargers
  • Do not expose your mobile phone to high temperatures, and avoid exposing it to direct sunlight
  • Avoid long phone conversations
  • Do not make or answer calls when the phone is charging
  • Try to keep your phone in a bag instead of in a pocket
  • Do not use damaged batteries

Scary stuff.

(via The Times)

Related posts: LG attempts to smooth over the whole ‘laptop exploding incident’ with the P300 notebook | Schoolboy humour courtesy of stock spammers: the exploding ARSS

Duncan Geere
For latest tech stories go to