The award winning ViewRanger GPS sat-nav app has hit the App Store. For £14.99 iPhone owners can get all of the features of a dedicated GPS system on their smartphones.
The ViewRanger GPS features premium map data from 13 countries, including the UK and USA, and includes multi-touch controls.
There is also an emphasis on topographic mapping in the app, provided by National Geographic and Ordnance Survey, ideal for trekkers, ramblers and off-road enthusiasts.
“There is a generation of people that have grown up with vehicle sat-navs and internet-based maps who may rarely use topographic maps,” said Dan Ortiz, Vice President, Products, Marketing & Operations for National Geographic Maps. “ViewRanger GPS captures this audience, and by making it easy to follow a topographic map on their phone, it will allow them to venture into the outdoors with confidence.”
Click here to pick the app up.
The full feature list includes:
– Premium topographic mapping (13 countries, more being added). Includes National Geographic, Ordnance Survey, BKG, IGN, IGN BE, NLS Finland, …
– Works in portrait & landscape orientations of phone
– Multi-touch support, such as pinch gestures to zoom in and out
– Maps are cached on handset, so no mobile network required in use
– Use in-app purchasing to add more premium maps from growing map library
– Create, draw and plot your own routes on the iPhone handset
– Plot points of interest
– Record your gps track – get statistics on distance, speed, height gain/loss, etc.
– Wide range of coordinates supported – national grid; lat/lon; ITM; UTM
– Use imperial, metric and nautical units
– Import routes, POIs, and tracks to ViewRanger from third-party sites and software using GPX files
– Export tracks, routes and POIs from ViewRanger via GPX files
– Share routes, pois, and tracks with ViewRanger users on Symbian and Android handsets
– Just two taps to download routes or map tiles at your location.
– Screen proximity switch – automatically locks the screen if you put the phone in your pocket or rucksack – but continues to record your track.