Turning off analogue: is UK radio next?


radio.jpgTraditional analogue radio stations could eventually be shut down, under proposals from Ofcom.

As if analogue TV turnoff by 2012 isn’t enough, Ofcom would like to review AM stations in 2009, and FM stations in 2012. However, if digital radio use exceeds 50% sooner than this, the review could be brought forward.

Ofcom claim that the analogue bandwidth used by radio could be better used for mobile TV, more digital and community radio, and other new technologies.

They predict that by 2017, 90% of all radio listening will be via digital platforms, which does make you wonder what the remaining 10% is supposed to do if analogue radio is ever switched off completely. Just because Dixons choose to stop selling something it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s due for extinction.

An Ofcom spokesman said: “There is no date set for switching off analogue radio signals but with the increased use of digital we need flexibility in the spectrum.”

Ofcom’s consultation ends in June.

Has analogue radio had its day?

Andy Merrett
For latest tech stories go to TechDigest.tv

One thought on “Turning off analogue: is UK radio next?

  • No analogue radio?

    Another mountain of obsolete electronics to dispose of in an increasing throwaway society!

Comments are closed.