We’re used to testing out home security cameras costing upwards of £100 – some are even over £200. So we’re pretty astonished by the news that the Neos SmartCam, which is launching today, will set you back just £19.99 (plus £4.99 postage and packing).
The spec doesn’t seem to bad either with most of the features you would expect to find in more expensive indoor cameras. For example there’s live-streaming in 1080p full HD, night vision, 8x digital zoom, motion and sound detection with in-app alerts, plus 2-way audio so you can shout at the burglars or scare your children should you wish!
Also on board is an auto-arming feature which uses your location to automatically arm the camera when you leave the home, in case you forget. Of course there’s a smart phone app too (iOS and Android).
Research by Walnut Unlimited found that, based on a nationally representative sample of 2,004 adults in the UK, 1 in 4 said they would be likely to buy the Neos SmartCam at £19.99 – this represents 13m UK consumers.
In the same study, 42% said they were most interested in using the Neos SmartCam for home security while 15% would use it to check on pets, claims the manufacturer.
The multi-functional camera is available in a white matte finish to pre-order at www.shop.neos.co.uk from today. Orders will start being sent out on 28thJanuary, 2019.
Matt Poll, CEO and founder of Neos said: “We believe that everyone should be able to afford the sense of reassurance that a smart home security camera can provide. With the Neos SmartCam, we’re making that possible and enabling millions of families in the UK to stay connected to home and loved ones”.
Multiple Neos SmartCam devices can be connected to the home Wi-Fi, and controlled from the app. Short video clips are saved for 14 days in the cloud and there is an SD card port for continuous recording.
- 1080p Full HD: Captures sharp images to see every detail
- Night vision: Enhanced night vision to see in the dark
- Motion detection: Senses movement and sends alerts straight to the smartphone
- Live stream: See through the camera lens in real time, anytime via the app
- Auto-arming: Automatically switches on and off as you arrive or leave the home
- Noise detection: Built-in motion sensor, with push notifications and sound sensitivity controls in the app
- 2-way audio: Hear what is happening in real time and respond accordingly
- 8x digital zoom: Pinch and zoom to see more in live view and playback
- Cloud recording: Automatically records motion, storing 12 seconds of video on the cloud
- Flexible design: Simple installation and setup, with a 3-axis movement to point the camera in the best position
- SD card enabled: SD card compatible to continuously record video even without Wi-Fi
- Download clips: Save video clips on the phone and share with family and friends
- Powered by mains electricity: The camera is supplied with a 1.8m USB power cable & a 3-pin plug. If required, a mounting kit with a 1.5m extension cable can be purchased from www.shop.neos.co.uk