Bosch start-up introduces $700 Kuri robot at CES2017
Meet Kuri, a brand new robot from Bosch startup, Mayfield Robotics, who is one of several new robots making an appearance at this year’s CES Show in Las Vegas.
Kuri is designed to have a real personality, awareness, and autonomous mobility. He can understand context and surroundings, recognise specific people, provide companionship and more.
Costing $699, he’s available for pre-order in the US from today at heykuri.com with a $100 deposit .
Inside Kuri are custom lasers and sensors, advanced electric motors, a built-in camera, microphones, dual speakers, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth connectivity, and more.
Some of the features that Kuri offers are the ability to check the pets are OK while you’re out during the day, read an audiobook to your kids at bedtime, follow you around and play music while you’re cleaning, or simply greet you at the door when you get home each night!
Standing 20inches tall (60cm) tall and weighing about 14lbs (6.5Kg), Kuri is about the size of a small dog, but unlike a small dog includes an app for iOS and Android!
Says Sarah Osentoski, COO and co-founder of Mayfield Robotics:
“For generations, people have dreamed of having their own personal robot in the home, and we’ve been focused on making that dream more of a reality.”
She adds: “We’re proud to introduce Kuri to the world and can’t wait to see how he touches the lives of everyone, ranging from parents and children to early technology adopters.”
You can see a video of Kuri in action below:
- A built-in 1080p camera so you can check-in on the house or pets while you’re away;
- A 4-Microphone array, powerful dual speakers, and wifi + Bluetooth connectivity, so he can play music, read the kids a bedtime story, or follow you around playing podcasts while you’re getting ready for work;
- Various sensors for mapping and detecting edges and objects so he knows where he is, and so you don’t have to worry about him bumping into that chair you forgot to put away, or driving down stairs;
- Easily programmable tasks and IFTTT capabilities to connect within modern smart homes
- Hours of battery life, and when it’s time to refuel, he simply returns himself to his charging dock for a quick charging nap.