No, Motorola hasn’t kitted its next RAZR out with a special intestine-slicing add-on. Although it’s a thought. Instead, surgeons in Argentina were forced to use mobile screens to illuminate an emergency appendectomy, after a power blackout nixed the lights in their operating theatre.
The poor patient’s family had to roam the corridors of the hospital gathering phones from anyone they could find (while presumably rejecting any Nokia N95s on the grounds that the battery wouldn’t last long enough to pass a scalpel).
Suddenly, those rugged mobiles with built-in torches don’t seem like such a bad idea.