Gears of War 3 has already topped the 1 million pre-orders mark, despite the game not hitting stores until September 20th, making it the fastest Xbox 360 title to hit the landmark.
The closing act of the brutal shooting trilogy, developers Epic are putting the massive pre-order figures down in part to the success of the recent multiplayer beta testing period, which concluded last Sunday.
“An overwhelming success – we can’t thank the fans enough,” said Epic Games Design Director Cliff Bleszinski. “While the beta was a fun way to give players an early taste of our game, it also provided us with invaluable feedback to help us refine and polish ‘Gears of War 3′ to ensure it’s truly the culmination of the trilogy we promised to the fans.”
The actual stats coming back from the beta period make for great reading too:
· 1.29 million people participated in the beta
· 145 different countries participated in the beta
· 249 years worth of matches played
· More than 11 million matches completed
· More than 927 million kills recorded
· More than 131 million executions performed
· More than 23 million deaths by chainsaw
· Nearly 23 BILLION bullets fired
· 460 million ribbons and 294 million medals earned
· 435 thousand people earned the beta exclusive Thrashball Cole skin to use in the retail game when it launches in September
· 234 thousand people earned the beta exclusive Gold Retro Lancer to use in the retail game when it launches in September
Epic have also recently announced that two limited editions of the game will be available for hardcore Gears fans at launch in the shape of the £59.99 Limited version and £99.99 superlative Epic edition.
By Gerald Lynch | May 19th, 2011