Home security company Ring has launched its fifth video doorbell, Ring Door View Cam. Designed primarily for flats and renters, it’s a wire-free video doorbell designed to transform an existing peephole into a smart security device.
Now available at Ring.com and on Amazon, it can easily installed in place of the existing, compatible peephole. What’s more, unlike some Ring models it does not require drilling or permanent modifications to your home or door.
Ring Door View Cam features motion detection, two-way talk, 1080p HD video, a removable, rechargeable battery, knock detection, privacy zones and night vision. Ring claims this makes it perfect for any home with an existing, compatible peephole – especially flats and rentals.
To install, simply remove the existing peephole, install the Door View Cam in its place on each side of the door, pop in the rechargeable battery and the removable cover, and you will have transformed your old peephole into a smart security camera.
Taking the learnings from Ring’s original Ring Video Doorbell, Ring built Door View Cam from the ground up while taking into account the fact that people interact with doors and doorbells in a block of flats and rentals differently than they do with detached and semi-detached housing.
The result, claims Ring, is a security device that enables flat dwellers to add desired security features to their homes in a way they weren’t able to before.
Jamie Siminoff, Ring’s founder and Chief Inventor, said:
“As we continue on our mission of reducing crime in neighbourhoods, we want everyone with a front door to have the ability to protect their property and prevent crime from taking place. We’ve heard from countless customers over the years who want to secure their front door with a Ring Doorbell but are not able to install one of our existing doorbells. With the addition of Door View Cam, we are unlocking peace of mind for every customer.”
- Easy Installation – Ring Door View Cam easily installs in place of a door viewer or peephole, without the need for drilling or permanent modifications.
- HD Video – Customers can view live video and recordings of their front door with the same experience and video quality as Ring’s other video doorbells.
- Knock Detection – If visitors don’t press the doorbell button, Door View Cam features a sensor that lets you know when they interact with your door, such as if they knock.
- Battery Powered – Door View Cam uses a removable, rechargeable battery located on the inside of the door, so you don’t have to run wires.
- Traditional Door Viewer Functionality – Door View Cam includes a glass viewer so the functionality of the existing peephole is not lost.
- Privacy Zones – Allows users to ignore certain zones in the doorbell camera’s field of view.
- Audio Toggle – Allows users to turn off audio, including audio recording.
- Alexa Compatibility – In select countries, users will be able to ask compatible Alexa-enabled devices to “show me my front door,” and be alerted when motion is detected by Ring Door View Cam in real time. They will also be able to speak with their visitors through their Echo Show, Echo Spot, and Fire tablets with Alexa (gen 7+).
Ring Door View Cam is now available in the US, UK, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland with a suggested retail price of £179.