Firmware update will help Xbox One controllers connect quicker
Microsoft is planning to update the firmware on Xbox One controllers that will enable them to connect to your console much more quickly – apparently it will now take just two seconds, instead of an agonising 4-5 seconds.
The news comes via Microsoft’s Larry ‘Major Nelson’ Hryb, who also says that members of the Xbox Preview Program can download the update today and test it.
Here’s how to do it:
- Connect a controller to your Xbox One with a USB cable. Keep any headsets connected to the controller.
- Connect to Xbox Live.
- Press the Menu
- Go to Settings > Devices & accessories. Select the controller.
- If you have multiple controllers attached, you can select Buzz – which will cause the selected controller to vibrate.
- Then select Update to download the new firmware to the controller attached via the USB cable, and the screen will show the Updating controller … progress screen
- When you see the Controller updated screen, press ‘B’ to go back to the Devices & accessories main page
- Reselect the controller, the Firmware version, should now be: 1.2.2236.0
Don’t forget to time how long installing the update takes, so you can work out exactly how many times you need to connect a controller before it actually becomes time saving and worthwhile.