PS4 controller now supported on PS3
Good news for gamers looking for an extra gamepad to play multiplayer on PS3, but unwilling to shell out: You can now hook up and use your PS4 pad wirelessly with your PS3 following Sony’s latest software update.
According to Reddit, the integration is not 100% tight – PS4 controllers only show up as generic wireless controllers rather than Playstation-specific: which means what whilst all of the buttons will do what you want, you’ll have to do without motion controls and vibration. You can though – once paired – use the PS4 controller to switch on the PS3.
Here’s how Reddit user ‘shafiggy16’ describes the process of pairing:
- Under “Accessory Settings”, select “Manage Bluetooth Devices”
- Select “Register New Device” then start scanning
- While the PS3 is scanning, press and hold the share button and PS button on the DS4 at the same time until it starts blinking
- The PS3 should then see the controller from there. The DS4 is going to show up as a “Wireless Controller”
- Once selected, the registration is complete
- Pressing the PS button on the DS4 now will turn the controller on, the LED will light up white while it’s on
So there you go – a nice little bonus for owners of both consoles.