Today Sky is rolling out a software update to Sky+ customers – introducing a bunch of new features which seem to take inspiration from the likes of Netflix.
Perhaps the biggest new feature is the introduction of a recommendation engine: Sky will now recommend TV shows to you based on your previous downloads and Sky+ recordings – just like how Netflix will throw up recommendations after you finish watching something.
The other seemingly Netflix-inspired change is the introduction of “DVD cover art” for on-demand film listings, making browsing through what is available a more visual experience.
Here’s the full list of new features, as described by Sky:
- Suggestions: customers will find shows that they might enjoy, based on recordings or downloads in their Planner.
- Smart Series Link: customers will never miss the returning series with Smart Series Link, as it is now updated to remember to record all the future new series
- DVD Cover Art: instantly-recognisable DVD cover art will be seen in the Sky Movies and Sky Store sections
- Sports: a new tile for the homepage will be introduced showing all live sports on any TV channel at that moment in time and all the sports channels from the TV Guide
- Combined SD and HD options: easily choose between HD & SD when downloading TV shows or movies from any on demand section.
- HDMI One Touch: the Sky button on the remote now turns on the latest Sky+HD box and a compatible TV in one go from standby. It tunes the TV to the correct HDMI input if they’ve been using another device so there’s no need to pick up the other remote control.
- Sky Store: customers can now access Sky Store from Sky Box Office.
- Simplified Card Pairing: customers will now be able to easily pair their viewing card without calling Sky; it just takes one press of a button on the Sky remote.
- Entertainment shows: the Lifestyle tab has been merged into the Entertainment tab in the TV Guide
- Homepage images: will be updated on a regular basis to showcase the latest and best movies and TV shows.
The update will be rolling out from today.