Nike have revealed the companies that will gain access to the Nike+ fitness app API, giving the selected developers the opportunity to tap into the data collected by the Nike+ app and from devices like the Fuelband and Sportswatch in order to make new app experiences for the platform.
Of the hundreds of companies that applied to be part of Nike’s Accelerator startup program, only ten have made the cut. They (and what they plan to do with the API access) are as follows:
- FitDeck: Digital decks of exercise playing cards that deliver ever-changing workouts for fitness and sports.
- GoRecess: Helps users find, book and review fitness activities.
- Chroma.io: An indie game studio that creates virtual worlds tied to real-world activity.
- CoachBase: Provides a digital sports coaching platform.
- GoFitCause: Leverages fitness data as a means of raising money for charities.
- HighFive: Ad network for health and fitness apps that helps people achieve their goals by rewarding them along their journey.
- Sprout At Work: Provider of corporate wellness solutions leveraging social and gamification tools to inspire employees and empower employers.
- GeoPalz: An interactive gaming and rewards platform for kids and families.
- Incomparable Things: Creates activity-driven fantasy sports leagues.
- RecBob: Offers a platform that makes recreational sports easy by organizing play.
“We are excited by the response to the Nike+ Accelerator and the high caliber of applicants to the program,” said Stefan Olander, Nike VP of Digital Sport.
“We recently celebrated the first year of NikeFuel and the Accelerator program is a natural next step to broaden and enhance the Nike+ ecosystem – allowing Nike to offer richer experiences to athletes of all levels.”
As a reward for being selected for the program, the ten groups of developers will each receive $20,000, as well as three month retreat to Portland, Oregon, where they’ll work alongside Nike-selected mentors to bring the ideas above to life. Each company will then have the opportunity to pitch their ideas to angel investors.
Must read posts:
LG launches new G Pad 10.1 across the globe –...
British trains win wifi speed boost because of repeatedly...
Maybe we're not all doomed: Solar energy cheaper than...