Celebrating the one-year-out mark for the Beijing 2008 Olympics, Lenovo yesterday announced plans for a major philanthropic auction, with limited-edition notebook computers inspired by their 2008 Olympic Torch on offer.
From February 8th next year, at the six-month mark, week-long back-to-back auctions for these "Cloud of Promise" notebook PCs will begin, concluding just prior to the start of the Games. Several of the PCs will be autographed by athletes.
All proceeds from the auctions will go to the Lenovo Hope Fund charities, including Right to Play, and other charities and organisations bringing sports to communities of children.
Athletes supporting the initiative include:
* Gale Emms, badminton, Great Britain, 2004 Olympic silver medalist
* Libby Lenton, swimming, Australia, 2004 Olympic gold and bronze medalist
* Eamon Sullivan, swimming, Australia, 2004 Olympian
* Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh, beach volleyball, United States, 2004 Olympic gold medalists
* Adam van Koeveden, canoe/kayak, Canada, 2004 Olympic gold and bronze medalist
* Liu Xiang, track and field, China, 2004 Olympic gold medalist